Forget store bought marshmallows with all those yucky ingredients! These 4 ingredient, sugar-free marshmallows are a treat my kids and their friends LOVE. With simple, whole ingredients, these confections are SCD legal and mom approved!
1/2 cup water- divided
1/2 cup light colored honey
1 1/2 Tbsp grass-fed gelatin (like Vital Proteins brand)
1/2 tsp vanilla
coconut oil (SCD legal) or tapioca or arrowroot starch for coating and slicing
- Coat a large piece of parchment paper with coconut oil (or tapioca or arrowroot starch if not following SCD). Set aside.
- Pour HALF of the water (1/4 cup) into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Sprinkle the gelatin on top of this water. Allow it to sit and “bloom” while you heat the honey.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, pour in the other half of the water (1/4 cup) and all of the honey.
- Bring the honey and water mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Stir frequently until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. (about 10 minutes)
- Carefully pour the heated honey into the bowl of the stand mixer. Add the vanilla.
- With the whisk attachment, start at low speed and gradually increaese until the mixer reaches high speed.
- Whisk for 10 minutes or until the mixture has tripled in size and is white and fluffy.
- Scrape the fluffy mixture onto the prepared parchment paper and spread into a 1-inch-thick layer. You will want to work relatively quickly as the marshmallows will begin to firm up.
- Allow the marshmallows to dry for 2-3 hours. Then slice into squares.
- If not following SCD, the squares can be coated with tapioca or arrowroot starch so that they won’t stick together.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 weeks.
For easy slicing, coat a sharp knife with coconut oil. This step will need to be repeated a few times. But it will create a perfect cut with no sticking.
If you do not follow SCD, lightly coat the outside of each marshmallow square with tapioca or arrowroot starch. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Prep Time: 30