They’re easy to make, fun to eat and a dish the whole family will love. These super delicious stuffed peppers will make a great addition to your dinner rotation this week!
3–4 whole bell peppers (Any color will do. We love them all!)
1 lb ground turkey
2 medium carrots
1/2 medium onion- red or white (about 2/3 cup)
3 garlic cloves (about 1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups diced or crushed tomatoes (I like the Pomi brand)
2 Tbsp tomato paste (Pomi brand)
1 tsp salt + more to taste
1 tsp basil
3/4 tsp oregano
1/16 – 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how much spice you prefer)
1/2 cup shredded cheese- parmesan, white cheddar, and/or provolone for SCD (optional)
- Dice carrots and onions into very small bite size pieces. Mince garlic.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and sauté carrots, onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Add 1 lb ground turkey meat to the skillet and toss with a few shakes of salt and pepper.
- Brown the turkey meat until completed cooked through. Make sure to break the meat into small pieces as you go.
- Once meat is completely cooked add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. (1 tsp salt, pepper to taste, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano)
- Stir everything together and simmer for 20 minutes until sauce thickens. You do not want the sauce too watery.
- While the sauce is simmering, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the peppers. Cut peppers in half longways and remove the stem, pith (the white part) and seeds. Depending on the size of the peppers, this amount of sauce will generously fill 6-8 pepper halves.
- Place peppers in a baking dish. Fill with thickened sauce. Top with shredded cheese if using.
- Bake peppers in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until the peppers reach your desired tenderness and cheese (if using) is golden brown. For our family, once a fork can pierce the pepper pretty easily, they are done.
These peppers are great leftover! The amount as written feeds our family of 4 with leftovers.
Make a double batch and freeze the sauce separately. Defrost the sauce and fill fresh peppers when you need a quick meal!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes