Rich, hearty, SO FLAVORFUL! This Chicken Stew is made up of only veggies, chicken broth and a splash of coconut milk. Yet, it’s so creamy and delicious you think you’re getting away with something!
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb chicken breast or leftover cooked chicken- cubed
1–2 leeks (2 cups)- white and light green part sliced in half lengthwise and sliced in thin strips
3–4 carrots (2 cups)- diced
1 medium celeriac (2 cups)- diced **If you cannot find celeriac, you can substitute parsnips**
1 clove garlic- minced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme- chopped (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1 cup homemade chicken broth
1/4 cup coconut milk (full fat out of a can)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- If using raw chicken breast, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken on medium heat until done (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat second Tbsp olive oil in the same pot and saute garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add leeks and celeriac (or parsnips) to the skillet and saute until the celeriac begins to soften (5 minutes).
- Add carrots to the skillet and saute another 5 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
- Add cooked chicken, thyme, salt, pepper and chicken broth to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the celeriac/parsnips are tender enough to mash with a fork or spoon. (At this point, I like to mash as much of the celeriac/parsnips as I can though they will begin to fall apart on their own as you stir the stew.)
- Remove lid, add coconut milk and let the stew simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to your liking.
- Finally, stir in the Dijon mustard. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. I usually add extra pepper.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper and parsley/cilantro. Eat to your good health!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. It reheats perfectly and is excellent the next day.
Double the recipe and freeze half. This dish can be easily thawed on the stove for a quick and healthy weekday meal!