With a little creativity, grain-free, sugar-free Halloween treats come alive! From creepy apple fangs to spooky bloodshot eyeballs, we have your SCD legal Halloween covered!
Red Lentil Pasta
When committed to the SCD, grain-free or paleo lifestyle, one of the things we missed most was an easy pasta night. You know, that quick meal where you dump pasta in water, add ground meat and sauce and voila! instant meal! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE all of the veggie inspired ‘pastas’. Zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, eggplant and others are delicious substitutes. One of our family’s favorite dishes is this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna! But sometimes we need that hearty bite- more of al dente pasta. We need Red Lentil Pasta!
Red Lentil Pasta to the rescue
Full disclosure: pasta noodles made with red lentils are not *technically* SCD legal. Yes, the noodles are made with red lentil flour and water, both legal foods. However, to be considered SCD legal, the lentils should be soaked overnight prior to cooking. This is not the case with the dried lentil noodles. But after strictly following the SCD rules for over 5 years, our daughter’s belly has healed to the point of zero visible inflammation. We have begun to add a few new foods and her belly tolerates Red Lentil Pasta perfectly.
Why choose Red Lentil Pasta
If you are following the SCD diet, please be cautious when trying any new food. Test small amounts and see how the new food affects your body. But whether you are following a grain-free/SCD lifestyle or not, Red Lentil Pasta makes a great addition to your diet. Why?
- Lentils are packed with protein. One cup of lentil pasta contains twice as much protein as regular wheat pasta.
- Lentils are naturally rich in multiple nutrients including B vitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc, and potassium.
- Lentil pasta is a great source of fiber which aids in digestion and helps you feel fuller longer.
- There are many different brands and shapes of red lentil pasta. All are easy to find in multiple stores.
- This pasta is as delicious as it is nutritious. Our family now prefers it to ‘regular’ wheat pasta!
Head over the Healthline website for all of the amazing benefits of lentils.
Our Favorite *SCD friendly* Pasta Night
There are dozens of ways to enjoy this grain-free noodle, from cold pasta salad, tossed in red sauce, scampi style with shrimp or gooey lentil mac and cheese. We love them all! Since adding lentil pasta to our daughter’s diet, a ‘traditional’ pasta dinner has again become an absolute family favorite…and the family chef’s favorite too! Here’s why:
- Lentil pasta tastes delicious, and everyone is happy to eat it.
- It is quick and easy to prepare.
- Using an SCD legal jarred sauce, like Rao’s, makes meal prep even easier.
- There are always leftovers for school lunch the next day.
Because of clean-ingredient products like these, even those following the SCD lifestyle can enjoy an easy pasta night…that doesn’t include zoodles. A special thanks to Lake Meadows Naturals for offering clean, minimally processed, local meats and more. If you live in central Florida, be sure to check this farm out!
Do you have a favorite Red Lentil Pasta recipe? We would love to try it! Please share it in the comments section below.